全文播放
No Free Lunch
沒有白吃的午餐
Hoping to get free contact lenses, Freddy goes to the optician.

弗瑞德到眼鏡商那兒希望能得到免費的隱形眼鏡。

Freddy:Could you help me check my eyes, please?
弗瑞德:可否麻煩你幫我做個視力檢查?
Optician:Sure. Please have a seat and put on these glasses. Now, tell me. Which letters seem clearer?
眼鏡商:當然。請坐下並戴上這副眼鏡。現在,告訴我。哪些字母看得比較清楚?
Freddy:The ones on the right.
弗瑞德:右邊的那些。
Optician:OK. Can you read these price tags?
眼鏡商:好的。你看得見這些價格標籤嗎?
Freddy:Yes. They're as clear as daylight.
弗瑞德:可以。清楚得很。
Optician:Fine. Read out the highest amount.
眼鏡商:很好。把價格最高的唸出來。
Freddy:US$100.
弗瑞德:美金一百元。
Optician:Right. That's what it'll cost you.
眼鏡商:沒錯。那就是你所要付的款數。
Freddy:But I thought the contact lenses are free.
弗瑞德:但是我以為隱形眼鏡是免費的。
Optician:Yes. But you'll have to pay for our service.
眼鏡商:是啊。不過你得付我們服務費。
Freddy:No wonder they say, "There's no such thing as a free lunch."
弗瑞德:難怪人家說:『天底下沒有白吃的午餐。』

EX english 數位英語學院